OWLS are a passion of mine. Why, because they are one of natures many marvels. Silently gliding across fields or through forests.
We can hear them,but not often see them, In particular if you are looking for the Tawny Owl. This amazing bird is a master of disguise. How often have I walked in a forest, my gaze up into the trees and not spotting one, even though I may have just walked past a tree where the tawny was sitting and watching me.
In fact it is often better to look on the ground for owl pellets, that at least will give you a clue, that owls maybe around. Then of course the distant sound of a Tawny Owl echoing through the forests. It is like music to my ears.
I love to watch barn Owls from a distance as they survey the Fields and grasslands at dusk for prey. Systematically almost silently skimming close to the ground , until they see or hear a vole or little field mice in the grass.
I am mesmerised by their beauty and elegance of flight, so much so that often I do not even raise my camera to catch an image of them. It does not matter, just being witness to the wonders of nature is often enough for me.
I am always disturbed by so called wildlife photographers, whose interest is not nature or the wildlife, but just the photograph. the same applies to some bird watchers, they are all nothing more that cheap Trophy Hunters. I wish they would stick to Zoo;s and falconry centres, rather then disturb nesting birds, who will often abandon the nest never to return.
To get a really good photograph of any wildlife, it is very important to understand the habit and habitat of the animal. It is vital to understand the behaviour of the animal, not just the flight pattern, but interaction with its own kind, but also with other animals and man. One needs to understand when to approach an animal to for it to take flight in fear or abandon its nest forever. Really understand the animal rather than follow false rumours and outdated folklore, as the fox sadly has to bear.
I also Host a photographer group on www.redbubble.com called ONLY OWLS, where some very talented photographers exhibit their amazing images of owls. If you like owls, you will like these.
The images on Redbubble are available for sale. As soon as I work out how this blog works, I will add a little show case.
Until my next blog on owls , wildlife and other photography, I wish you all well
No comments:
Post a Comment